Monday, October 12, 2009

Geek Post: ROCKTOBER 13!!

So tomorrow is a big day in the world of video games. Two games, that could be very huge this holiday season release tomorrow. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Brutal Legend. I know that Uncharted 2 will help Sony, with moving consoles this holiday season. The early review scores alone show that this is now a franchise that now can step up against Grand Theft Auto and Microsoft's golden child HALO. In fact I would call Uncharted Sony's Halo and Nathan Drake their Master Chief. So seeing how Sony has been drug through the dirt the past couple of years with the PS3, I hope that they can grab some more ground this holiday season and become a real competitor in the games market.

But this post isn't really all about the sales market of video games it's about how anyone listening should run out tomorrow whenever you can, get 60 dollars, and buy Brutal Legend. I hear you saying "But you haven't even played it yet!!" I know I haven't but I don't have to play it, to know that it will be awesome.

One name lets me know that this game will deliver and is worth my money. Tim Schafer. If you've never played a Tim Schafer game, please do so. I never got to play his LucasArts games back in the 90s, because we never owned a PC till 2000. I hear however that they were the best of that generation when it came to adventure gaming.

What I did get to play was Psychonauts. One of the best games of the last generating in the Action/Adventure category. I'm talking better than Mario people. In fact I will be so bold to say that Mario Galaxy was not the first to do what it did Platform wise. Psychonauts was. Mario Galaxy just did it better. This game was so clever, so original, that you can't not give it the acclaim that it deserves.

I'm not going to list why it deserves awards of all kinds, because I want you to play it and see, but I will write this. The premise is that you are a boy at a summer camps for psychics of all kinds. And levels in this game are the inside of people's minds. Which you get to buy putting a little door on their heads. If that doesn't excite you let me say this there are evil girl scouts, a whole level devoted to the shagadelic 60s, and a crazy funny man who is a genius and his personality changes when he has different clothes on. OH, and you get to light things on fire with your MIND!

This game is amazing, and the one downside is the technology in graphics at the time could not show emotions on faces like today. That's a downside! It was too ambitious for the technology.

But whats sets it apart leaps and bounds from other games is the writing. Tim Schafer's writing is witty, and just plain makes you chuckle. You have a smile on your face pretty much 90% of the time because the characters are so expressive. Sometimes I felt like I was watching a great Cartoon Network show than playing a video game.

Get this game! It is on Xbox Live as a download. You can also get it at Gamestop for the original Xbox and PS2 if you have those.

So that is the reason why I don't worry that Brutal Legend will blow me away. Tim Schafer is one of the best video game developers in the business. He would not let me down.

ALSO, I played the demo, it rocks! Try it....NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment